Monday, September 11, 2006

Quick Tip on Watching Russian DVDs in the USA

Maybe some of you already know this, but I have discovered that Netflix has a rather large and growing selection of foreign films. You can find the Russian section here. I already have a queue of about 30 DVDs. At $9.95 a month, it is a good way to expand your Russian film collection (not that I would advocate ripping copies of DVDs, ahem). There are also some Russian DVD clubs (such as MoscowFlix) which work similarly to Netflix - we selected Netflix because its collection actually appeared more interesting (so says Katja).

Because of Netflix, I recently watched Mimino. I can't say I really enjoyed as much as many of the reviews. I wish that I did, it was very highly rated. Katja liked it very much; I felt like it was a story meant to discourage ambitions. She is annoyed with me for this point of view, which I suppose is typically American. To some degree, it is likely something that only someone from or highly attuned to Soviet/Russian culture could appreciate.

Also, I recently acquired a region free DVD player. The Philips DVP642 DivX-Certified Progressive-Scan DVD, which comes with a quick hack to make it region free. You should be able to get this for $50 or less. I highly recommend it to anyone who is searching for a way to play their foreign DVDs. A link to acquiring this is provided below (consumer whore that I am).

No comments: