Thursday, May 11, 2006

Back Home - Notes on Living with a Russian Woman

Katja and I arrived back home in quiet Exeter, New Hampshire at about 11:30 pm last night. Our flight back from Charlotte, North Carolina was delayed by approximately 90 minutes, so our return home was later than planned. It was a bit longish as a business trip for me, with our departing Boston at 6:45 a.m. on Sunday morning and late return on Wednesday. Oh yes, and the internet access at the hotel was terrible to non-existent. Basically, I couldn't use my laptop while there. My dependence upon the internet for work and personal business is humbling.

Since Katja's arrival in the US on April 26th, life has kept me away from writing as much for the blog. It will likely remain that way for the next few weeks, at least until our return from Las Vegas after Memorial Day.

Now, as much as I felt I knew about Russian culture, there is really no substitute for living full-time with a Russian for learning about the differences between the US and Russia. I have a list of points from conversations and life over the last few weeks to illustrate some of this:
  • One of the first things Katja and I did together upon her arrival was to go grocery shopping. Lots of suspicion and label reading. I found myself explaining (or attempting to explain) ingredients such as "enriched flour", carrageenan, xantham gum, whey, various hydrogenated oils, etc. I had always considered myself a bit of a whole foods guy and I almost never keep various snack foods or quick foods in the house. If I want pilaf, I cook the rice and flavor it with spices myself. If I want cookies, brownies, or cake, I bake it from scratch and not from a mix. However, since Katja's arrival I've become even more selective in what food items I am willing to buy and eat.
  • Restaurants are incredibly wasteful with the huge portions of food they provide, and deceitful in their ingredients described on the menu. Fast food joints are generally even worse, of course.
  • You really have to look a bit to find suitable bread here in the US. Luckily, Katja and I already had some agreement on this, and we generally like the same sorts of breads.
  • Continuing on this theme, throwing away bread is very bad. You better feed it to the birds instead.
  • Sour cream. Butter. Cheese. Cream cheese. Cottage cheese. Farmer's cheese. Yogurt (at least the stuff that isn't full of food color and sugar and small bits of fruit). Katja doesn't like mayonnaise (this is rare among Russians) and she says that Russian news and TV recommend Russians eat less mayo. However, anything else that is white and made from milk is a staple.
  • Bob Evan's strawberry-banana crepes are ok, although the crepes don't taste 100% authentic (the batter is too sweet, we decided). IHOP cheese-blintzes might have been ok, but there is an over-abundance of "cheese" inside disguising what the blini might actually taste like. Better that we just make them at home - however, when traveling that isn't always an option.
  • Over-the-counter medications are very limited here in the US.
  • No whistling indoors.
  • Scratching a cross on your fingernails will help cure or heal hangnails. Don't ask why it works, she doesn't know.
  • There are white witches and their cures really work. However, it is difficult to find a real one who isn't just a fraud looking to make money - real ones won't take money anyway and you provide them with some gift, perhaps food, in trade for their services.
  • If anyone other than Katja were to speak to me about these topics, I probably wouldn't listen to them very well. I give her lots of room and respect for her beliefs in these areas and see nothing wrong with them. I find the topics interesting when we discuss them.
  • Shoes are filthy dirty and shouldn't be placed on furniture or countertops or tables - ever. I had an old pair of black dress shoes I was tossing, and I momentarily set them upon the countertop next to the front door, as I was taking out the trash. Horrified gasps ensued. The shoes weren't filthy and the countertop can be easily wiped clean afterwards - but somehow the filth of shoes is too enduring. If you haven't actually walked the streets of Russia, you might never understand the horror of dirty shoes in a clean house in the Russian mind.
  • I wear an orthodox cross already, having bought a rather nice silver one in October. Katja has the cross, but also carries a small icon that she has had since she was a little girl. She lost it in the bathroom at Baltimore-Washington International Airport last night (Teminal D) and only realized it once we were onboard the plane. She was very upset - and she doesn't particularly consider herself religious and rarely goes to church.
  • What Katja considers to be fashionable for men's clothing is often what I consider to be metrosexual or borderline G - A - Y. This is much more my problem than hers, although I've tried to explain US male fashion sense (or the lack there-of).
  • Katja thinks "Leave it to Beaver" is great. She found it a bit surprising that American's used to dress so nicely around the home.
  • Suntan lotions are for preventing sunburn and suntans, and not for promoting a good tan. SPF? I had to explain what it is ... the ingredients label wasn't comforting.
  • Despite the fact that US tap-water is perfectly fine, Katja uses the Brita Filter on my faucet and then boils the water before she finds it suitable. She isn't reassured by the presence of flouride and the slight chlorine taste of treated water straight from the faucet is troubling. However, there is no debating that US tap water is generally better than Russian tap water (especially that nasty Yaroslavl water). She doesn't find that water tastes right unless it is boiled first.
  • Dumping a big bucket of cold water on yourself after your morning shower is actually rather refreshing, although I can't say that I am convinced it has health benefits. Russian healthiness is often described in rather vague touchy-feely terms, such as "it is good for the nerves".
There are many other points and topics that occur daily. I'm sure to continue on this theme from time to time, with more focused topics for discussion. My hope for the primary focus of this blog has always been cultural, and these themes certainly allow for some good topics for future articles.

21 comments:

tomjkiehn said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful observations. I lived with a Russian family for a year when I first moved to Moscow and I had similar situations as you described. The bit about westerners not taking shoes off in their homes was a point where my host family expressed great shock and horror. I've assimilated in that respect, but mostly because I can see how filthy these Russian streets are. I'll stick with it even if I move back to the States.

I look forward to hearing more about your intercultural living situation if you ever feel like sharing.

Veronica Khokhlova said...

"No whistling indoors" - a to deneg ne budet :)))))))))

Good luck you two!

Sean Guillory said...

Where the hell do you find a good знахаре or колдун in New Hampshire!?

Anonymous said...

Being in the midst of reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan, Katja's reaction to the grocery labels struck home.

Sorry, but not knowing anything about Russia or Russians, I don't get the whistling indoors reference. Superstition or what?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the informative and amusing post!

About not whistling indoors, I was taught by my parents (and my grandma) that it betrays bad manners. Why, I don't know. I'm sure it had it reason that now are unknown to most of us. Rather similar to why wearing a hat indoors, especially while sitting at a table, is considered disrepectful.

And yes, "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is an excellent book!

Kolya

michael said...

Enjoyed reading this. As I live in Scotland with my Russian wife, I have experienced all the same things.

James said...

Hi loved the article, I too married a Russian woman, and I have noticed many of the same things - although I've started to ween my better half off of her addiction to mayonaise ;-)

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I am English, but I have an horror of dirty shoes in a clean house.

I wish more of us British would adopt the Russian view of the matter.

Linda said...

But if you have really hot shoes, why should you take them off?

make money online jobs said...

This site provides you to do work from home through internet. And you can earn money in hundreds & thousands of dollars. this is a life time opportunity who are interested in.
VISIT : http://www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Catharine said...

Hey! Genuinely it’s really possible to earn money online; I really felt that this website is quite impressive and a great idea to earn hundreds of Dollars daily.

VISIT: http://www.earnglobalmoney.info

srmsoft said...

EARN GLOBAL MONEY shows you different earning programs from all over the globe and help people to earn money from different earning program owned by different organizations.
Click Here

srmsoft said...

Online cash loans are becoming the new wave of the future and more and more people are applying if only to establish themselves with one of these services in case of an emergency. So if you find yourself short of cash and need that "little extra" consider an online cash loan.

clickhere

srmsofttech said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

hanly said...

Convert Blu Ray

Convert Blu Ray Mac
Convert Blu Ray to AVI
Convert Blu Ray to DivX
Convert Blu Ray to MKV
Convert Blu Ray to MOV
Convert Blu Ray to MP4
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG2
Convert Blu Ray to MPEG4
Convert Blu Ray to VOB
Convert Blu Ray to WMV
Convert Blu Ray to Xvid
Convert Blu Ray to HD
Convert Blu Ray to HD WMV
Convert Blu Ray to iPod
Convert Blu Ray to PS3
Convert Blu Ray to PSP
Convert Blu Ray to Xbox360

srmsofttech said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

Swathi said...

Start Earning $300 Today - Every Single Day!!! Easy2Earn Money on Internet Without Investment... Spend 30 Minutes a Day on internet..plz visit once time
internetsecondincome.com

beautytips said...

wow nice article
and everybody know about trading from here
www.besttradingguide.com

sandrabullock said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

aretha said...

Earning money online never been this easy and transparent. You would find great tips on how to make that dream amount every month. So go ahead and click here for more details and open floodgates to your online income. All the best.

chunxue said...

During the World War II, Art Deco jewellery was ugg sale a very popular style among women. The females started ugg boots wearing short dresses and cut their hair short. And uggs such boyish style was accessorized with Art Deco jewellery. They used cheap ugg boots long dangling earrings and necklaces, multiple bracelets and bold ugg boots uk rings.Art Deco jewellery has harshly geometric and symmetrical theme instead disocunt ugg boots of free flowing curves and naturalistic motifs. Art Deco Jewelry buy ugg boots today displays designs that consist of arcs, circles, rectangles, squares, and ugg outlet triangles. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces and rings are added with long ugg boots outlet lines and curves.One example of Art Deco jewelry is the Art Deco ring. Art Deco rings have ugg mall sophisticated sparkle and bold styles. These rings are not intended for a subtle look, they are meant to be noticed. Hence, these are perfect for people with bold styles.